[Ewrt-devel] RE: Mea culpa (was: building from sources)

Irving Popovetsky
Fri Jun 25 11:33:17 PDT 2004

Hi Charles,

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 16:56, Charles Hood wrote:
> Irving,
>
> I re-downloaded /ewrt/src/router/splish/src/config.h from CVS to replace my
> clobbered one.  I ran your patch against the Makefile to ensure that it
> doesn't get re-clobbered.  (Near as I can tell it only comments out a line?)

Yep.

> I was able to run "make" to build the source, with no errors.  A code.bin
> file was produced in the image directory as promised.  I was able to flash
> my WRT54G with this firmware successfully.  I was able to access the
> administration interface.

Great!   At this point the patch is in CVS.

> The path problem for NoCat does indeed appear to be fixed.  However, I am
> still having other problems.  These problems were probably there previously
> also, I just didn't have time to discover them.
>
> With NoCat turned out, the splash page is only presented to clients on the
> LAN interfaces, and not to wireless clients.  I believe someone else
> reported this same behavior to the list.  I can click the accept button to
> get through to the web interface for the WRT54G, but that's about it.  I am
> not getting redirected to the web page I specified for NoCat, nor does the
> router appear to work at all.  I can get it to "connect" to my DSL using
> PPPoE, but I cannot get the box to actually route any wireless traffic out
> to the Internet.  The box also appears to be running very slowly, as if
> something is running no quite right.

Okay, so for my own clarification what you're describing here is two
problems:
1)  Only users plugged into the LAN ports are getting sent to the NoCat
Splash page.
2)  Once those LAN users have authenticated (clicked "I accept"), they
cannot pass any traffic to the internet

I have seen a report of problem #1, but nobody has supplied us with
enough data to begin to troubleshoot it.  So can you start off with the
following:

1)  WRT54G hardware version
2)  have you tried resetting to "factory defaults" recently?
3)  full nvram output (obviously hide your password)  - "nvram show"
4)  iptables dump with no users authenticated, and then after one has
auth'ed  "iptables -v -nL"
5)  What's happening to WLAN users?   Do they associate?  Do they get
DHCP leases?  can they ping their default gateway?  can they ping their
default gateway with large packets?
6)  Do the DNS addresses given out by DHCP match the DNS addresses in
the nocat.conf
7)  The output of /tmp/services.out with verbosity = 10.  annotate it
with where you tried certain things

As far as problem #2 goes,  how do you know your PPPoE setup is working
at all?   Can users get to the internet without NoCat running?

I just committed a patch (thanks to Tom Goetz) that should unbreak
MSS/PMTU issues for PPPoE users.  It is for CVS users only for now.

> I'm sorry if this is a big vague.  Any suggestion for troubleshooting?
> Should I check out all of the source from CVS instead of using the tarball
> plus patches?

If you're interested in participating in Ewrt development then please
get on CVS.   Otherwise don't, we have to actually pay for the huge
amount of bandwidth that CVS can consume.

good luck,

-Irving